KENWOOD   DAIRY   RESTORATION  TRUST

 

At The Dairy

Dairy buildings from meadow

 

The Dairy was built by the second Lord Mansfield in 1794-1796 for his wife Louisa, Countess of Mansfield as part of a model farm which included a piggery, a farmhouse and cottages.


Comprising of a group of three low white buildings with slate-covered roofs and overhanging eaves. Designed by George Saunders for the second Lord Mansfield it was probably the first ‘Swiss chalet’ style Dairy built in England. Originally the three buildings housed the creamery, churnery and scalding room, an octagonal tea room, and dairy maids’ accommodation. Here butter was made, cream skimmed from the milk and the whey piped to the piggery nearby. 

Dairy showing original fittings and marble floor

 

 

The Creamery still has its Georgian tiles and stone floor, original windows and shutters and marble sinks including a beautiful black marble basin or fountain

 

 

 

Octagonal tea room

 

 

The small octagonal tearoom with its mirrored walls has lovely views.
The charm of its chinoiserie-style woodwork and segmented domed ceiling are evocative of an earlier age.

Concealed beneath the Creamery is a brick-built ice-house in the shape of a bee hive or skep. It is accessed by steep steps.


The ice house, underneath the creamery, stored ice from the Thousand Pound Lake in the grounds. It is still in remarkable condition.

 

 

 

 

 

Registered Charity no 1122681

Home      News      Story      Future      Gallery      Giving       Contact      Location